Sunday, October 9, 2011

what I love about Sundays

I'm not into country music.

Okay, maybe I am- sort of.

Either way, on our way home today the song that kept playing in my mind and in my heart is Craig Morgan's "What I love about Sundays"
photo credit
I've really wanted to create some sort of special traditions for our family on Sundays. I want our children to grow up looking forward to Sundays.  We are incredibly blessed to be a part of an amazing spiritual community that is not just a great support system, but they have truly become a part of our family.  My children call these families "Aunt and Uncle" and they relate to their friends as "cousins."  We have learned to love another and do life together not just in word, but in deed.

We love this. We encourage this. Every Sunday, we head off to our weekly celebration service (that's what we call Church) and then we make plans to go spend time with our Church family.  Whether we head off to a restaurant (it's the only time we allow ourselves to dine-out outside of special occasions) or cook with another family or a little of both, we spend time doing life together, playing, enjoying fellowship and serving one another. The men sometimes go off and play some basketball (because apparently, football tends to get a little too physical) while the ladies enjoy one another over a cup of coffee and great conversation.  The kids get to play with "new" toys and their friends every week.  It's such a beautiful day.

And I want to continue to make it special, weekly. For both, my children and our extended family.  I want Sundays to be the day when all is in order, and rest reigns.  A day where we rest solely on the love and grace of Christ and the wonderful families He's brought into our lives. I'm incredibly committed to this purpose.  Sunday Dinners will be a sacred, glorious time in our family's lives.  I promise!  

I'm taking suggestions. What do you do to make Sundays special?



That's what I love about Sunday
Sing along as the choir sways
Every verse of Amazin' Grace
And then we shake the Preacher's hand
Go home, into your blue jeans
Have some chicken and some baked beans
Pick a back yard football team
Nothin' much of anythingThat's what I love about Sunday

It's 35 cents off a ground round baby, cut that coupon out

That's what I love about Sunday
Cat-napping on the porch swing
You curled up next to me
The smell of jasmine wakes us up
Take a walk down a back road
Tackle box and a cane pole
Carve our names in that white oak
And steal a kiss as the sun fades
That's what I love about Sunday

Oh, new believers gettin' baptized
Momma's hands raised up high
Havin' a Hallelujah good time
A smile on everybody's face
That's what I love about Sunday

1 comment:

  1. One thing I love to do is play worship music on Sunday mornings when I get ready and on my way to Church. I'm not usually a morning music person, so it's special and different to set that day aside in that way. {I love that song by Craig Morgan!}

    ReplyDelete