Monday, May 9, 2011

secret life of Hannah

This is the next installment of The Heart of Hannah series. If this is your first time joining us, feel free to start the journey here. =)
One of the most captivating things about Hannah to me is her prayer life. I am absolutely outstanded with it.

"As for Hannah, she was speaking in her heart, only her lips were moving, but her voice was not heard." --1Sam 1:13

"For this boy I prayed, and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of Him." --1Sam1:27

"Then Hannah prayed and said, 'My heart exults in the LORD, my horn is exalted in the LORD, my mouth speaks boldly against my enemies, because I rejoice in Your salvation. There is no one holy like the LORD, indeed, there is no one besides You, nor is there any rock like our God. Boast no more so very proudly, do not let arrogance come out of your mouth; for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and with Him actions are weighed. The bows of the mighty are shattered, but the feeble gird on strength... He keeps the feet of His godly ones, but the wicked ones are silenced in darkness; for not by might shall a man prevail." --1Sam 2:1-4, 9 (emphasis mine)

I love how comfortable Hannah was in the secret place. Though her pain was real and her sorrow plenty, she poured out her affections and every anxious thought upon the One who could change it and "remember her." (1Sam1:19)
She did not wail and cry for all to hear as a wailing woman would*, but rather in solitude of heart and confidence before Him, she prayed. No one heard her. In fact, Eli thought she was drunk. So therein, she was persecuted for her silent pleas before the Lord.

Hannah had no desire for man's compassion nor man's plans. She confidently and quietly prayed for the Lord to answer her prayer. She didn't announce it in the front of the Church nor send out an e-mail as a prayer request. She simply prayed, knowing He would listen. (please note: I am not in any way minimizing requesting prayer from other believers, this is imperative as a body and I encourage it. Rather my desire is to highlight Hannah's attitude of heart in prayer. She trusted God would hear).

How confident Hannah was in the very fact that the LORD our God hears her voice.

"Even before there is a word on my tongue, behold O LORD, You know it all." (Ps 139:4)

The very whispers and cries of our heart are ever present to Him and He will remember them. In mercy, in justice, in love. He remembers.

The grace is in having the same confidence as Hannah. Remembering that He remembers and allowing His plan to unfold and trusting He will move on our behalf and always always always for our good.

By the way, when the Lord remembered Hannah, He remembered her six times over. After Samuel, she had another five children. =)

I want to be like Hannah, LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment