Sunday, July 17, 2011

no such thing as middle ground.

Phew! I never knew a little sorcerer kid could cause such a commotion, nor could the portrayed love story between a dreaded vampire and a supposed pure maiden cause such massive hysteria in society!

Then again, such is the kingdom of darkness.  Subtle in its execution, mighty in its result.

That social media of Facebook has seen quite its amount of drama and controversy amongst Christians over this much-debated subject of Christians engaging and participating in witchcraft by watching Harry Potter.

This was my response to the much controversial topic; "Sadly, the line between good and evil is being blurred more and more! Christians are being deceived at an alarming rate.  But, such is the Great Apostasy.  The good news is, Truth Wins!"  Truth of course being Jesus Christ and not Edward Cullen or Harry Potter.

Bottom line comes to this.  (Contributed by yet another clever Facebook status) "... to piggy back on all the fuss about Harry Potter and all that jazz, I just have to say one thing.  Truth Wins! And when we stand before Him, we will give account for everything we did; even the movies we watched, and the music we listened to.  He really DOES care about that stuff."

We serve and love a God who is intensely personal and whose name is Jealous. (Exodus 34:14, Deuteronomy 6:15)  We have been called to be stewards unto Him and every decision we make counts.  He is not a shrewd dictator, but He is Jealous and there is no way around that.

If then, we are called to be stewards of His resources unto His Kingdom, then how can we partner with darkness and justify it?

"If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth." (1 John 1:6)

"Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols (idols like the massive hysteria in society over that little sorcerer kid and that Edward Cullen guy? hmm)? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, “I will dwell in them and walk among them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. Therefore, 'come out from their midst and be seperate,' says the Lord.  'and do not touch what is unclean (sin!); And I will welcome you. And I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to Me,' says the Lord Almighty." (2 Corinthians 6:14-18)

Though we can debate this subject all day long, there are two key facts that none of us, believers, can deny.

1) Harry Potter and Twilight (just to name a few) are associated with the demonic supernatural realm and witchcraft which is Scripturally evil. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." (Ex 22:18) " For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king" (1 Sam 15:23)


2) The enemy comes, seeking to destroy truth and bring forth compromise to the believers of Christ. "Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." (1 Pet. 5:8)  Our adversary comes looking for whom he may devour, and according to 1 Peter, he can only devour a person who is drunk in spirit (with the pleasures of this world) and unaware.

I am called to steward my finances, my time and my resources unto Christ.  What then, can I truly say to account for the time wasted on Harry Potter and Edward Cullen?  Of what heavenly value is that to me? 

How can I partner with darkness and expect Light to be merciful to me?  I am either for God or against Him.  There is simply no middle ground.  It is not just a book.  It is not just a movie.  There is not "just" in this life.  All of it is a battle.  All of it is a choice.  A choice to partner with Christ and be a wise steward of time or a choice to be drunk of spirit and slumber away, thinking that I'm awake and alive. 

As a Christian, there is just no middle ground.  It's an illusion created by that same crafty enemy that has brought about these stories that have deceived so many. It has devoured many that have fallen asleep to his devices.

All this fuss has caused me to re-evaluate myself.  My time spent and how guarded (or unguarded) I am.  I don't want to think that I'm alive, if I'm really dead on the inside.

... I pray you don't either.

"You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." (James 4:4)



*writer's note: I wanted to include pictures with this post, but while searching for a picture, I kept coming across such distasteful pictures of wickedness, I decided against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment