Wednesday, April 4, 2012

re-focusing on the eternal

What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” 
- AW Tozer from Knowledge of the Holy

Sometimes, when you've lived simply, or have had need for so long and you're surrounded with others with unbelievable plenty... and you take your eyes off the prize, the catastrophic can happen.

You get caught up in the things and the world.

Personally, I think it's a guise of the enemy of God to distract us and turn our eyes away from worthy things to worthless things.  Things that burn, things that have zero eternal value. I also think it's a painful, yet unbelievably real reminder of how utterly deprived and worthless our mind and spirit are without the gentle and beautiful guiding of the Holy Spirit to teach us and bring us into a greater knowledge of who our God really is.

My heart has been lulled asleep by busy distractions and silly wants.  Things. Possessions. A reputation and name for myself. A clean and beautiful home. All things that are worthless in eternal value.  As mothers and wives, it is part of our calling and mandate to tend to our homes (Titus 2:3-5) but not at the expense of the eternal (Colossians 3:2-3).

Today, I'm choosing to be purposeful in building something eternal; I am asking our gracious Lord to awaken my heart to who He is and to instill within me a spirit of "wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of who He is." (Ephesians 1:17-19) While I'm tending to my little one, while I'm folding laundry, while I'm unpacking the mess left behind by our move on Saturday, even while I'm shopping for Haven's crib-set fabric. Yes. I'm choosing to be that specific, because I have to be purposeful and I choose to be.

In what way will you choose to be purposeful today?

No comments:

Post a Comment