Saturday, April 21, 2012

why I'm picking up dirty socks off the floor... again

As I'm sitting to write this, there is a mini-pile of clothes with my hubby's name written all over them...

On.the.floor! Again.

Mind you, I'd spent all day yesterday cleaning. And licking my wounds. I am eight months pregnant, I work, care for a toddler and for our home. Sometimes, it feels like I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders-- I just feel like I do it all and while I'm doing it all, I'm doing it in the secret place of our home where no one can see and respond with an accolade.

In moments like that, my heart's tendency is to allow resentment to creep in and my focus to be lost. That's when I pick up the phone and call a friend (or my Mommy) to vent about everything I do, and how under appreciated I am and blah, blah.

But then, as I'm digging through my very old phone's directory, I feel the gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit.

Noooo. I refuse this time Lord. I'm doing it all, giving it all, every second of every day and I'm tired.

Have you ever uttered those words? I'm. Tired.

Seems like an excuse to stop serving and complain.


"Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain. But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all. You too, I urge you, rejoice in the same way and share your joy with me." 
-- Phillipians 2:14-18

We live in a culture that teaches us to serve to the point with which we are being served, yet serve a God who washed the disciples feet before He was betrayed by the same man whose feet He had washed-- unto death-- and calls His believers to follow the same example.  Granted, my husband's no saint (though He is amazing) but he is also no Judas.  He is a man, like any other, fallen and in need of daily redemption by our Savior.  He has strengths, and his weaknesses (dirty clothes on the floor, anyone?), much like any other man I've ever met. 

However, even with those weaknesses, he is still an incredible man who works hard to provide for his family the best he knows how, who adores his kid and bears the Father's heart in his every interaction with them, who loves his wife even through the glory of pregnancy hormones, who is faithful even through the tough times and who loves the Lord and seeks His face.  I have so much more to be thankful for than to complain.  And my bet is, so do you. 

The Lord has designed us to be their helpmate and that includes being poured out as a drink offering on behalf of them.  It means serving, giving and laying down of our lives until there's nothing else to give... And then, when there's nothing left-- giving some more by the grace of the Father who loves to see His children poured out. 

So, if you don't mind I'm going to go pick up that man's dirty socks and basketball shorts... Again and bless him with prayers as I do.  Then, I think I'll make his favorite dinner, just to show him how much I love him. 

How will you honor and serve your husband today?

No comments:

Post a Comment